Welcome to the Readiness course!

Home Forums Readiness for Academic Study Welcome to the Readiness course!

This topic contains 22 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Ella 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

i.wilson
    Keymaster

Hello everyone and welcome to this the online course to support you with your academic readiness for university.

We would like to start off the course with an easy task – time to introduce yourself! Please remember to provide no personal information on this forum – e.g. no email address, phone numbers etc.

In order to start to ball rolling – I’ll introduce myself…

My name is Ian and I’m currently a Senior Lecturer in Primary Education although I have only been doing this for the past six years. Before that I was a primary school teacher for twenty two years – and I managed to survive all 22 years and enjoyed them all.

At A’ Level, I took Chemistry, Biology, Physics and General Studies.

My favourite colour is purple, my favourite animal is a giraffe and my favourite band is STEPS!

In my spare time I like playing computer games and role playing games which I stream on Twitch. I also like being a radio presenter.

Okay – your turn now! – You can use my intro as a template if you wish…looking forward to hearing from you.

Eleanor Palmer
    Participant

My name is Eleanor, I’ve recently completed my A levels, passing A level Food Technology, Religious Studies and History. I like various artists such as Coldplay and the Chainsmokers. In my spare time, I enjoy spending time with my younger sister as well as playing sports such as badminton.

Hello everyone πŸ™‚

I’m Clare and I am the Academic Liaison Librarian for Primary Education (and the rest of the courses in the School of Education). I’ve been at York St John for 14 years, but it doesn’t seem like it. I work closely with your tutors to make sure you have the resources you need and also work with students in finding, evaluating and referencing information.

I’m not as scientific as Ian! I took English Literature, Maths, French and General Studies at A Level. I’m from Middlesbrough originally and am a Boro fan, but I moved to York to go to York Uni in 1998 and never left the city.

I love baking, especially making chocolate chip cookies, but I couldn’t be on Bake Off because I am not very good at making things neat. My favourite band is Elbow, my favourite TV programme is Strictly, and I love reading crime novels. I will also watch pretty much any sport when it’s on.

My favourite part of the job is meeting all of our new students and I look forward to seeing you soon.

Steph Secker
    Participant

Hi everyone! My name is Steph and I have recently completed A Levels in History, Spanish and Performing Arts. I love listening to music, specifically to Coldplay, James Arthur, Clean Bandit etc. I also love spending time with my family and playing video games. Whenever I watch TV, my favourite shows to watch are sitcoms (Friends is one of the best!) but I also love watching anything historical. I’m looking forward to starting the course and meeting you all πŸ™‚

Libby Dixon
    Participant

Hello everyone!

My name is Libby and I just finished my CACHE diploma in Childcare and Education. I love listening to music, reading and spending time with my friends and family. I am always asked who my favourite artist or author is but I can never just choose one. As long as I love the song I can have it on repeat no matter the artist, likewise with books, once I’ve got really into a book I won’t put it down! I can’t wait to get the course started and meet you all πŸ™‚

Arthur Green
    Participant

Hi everybody!

I’m Arthur and I have just finished my A-Levels in Maths, Biology, ICT and History. I really enjoy being out and about and you can often find me fell running on the harsh North Yorkshire Moors (whilst frequently getting lost!) I don’t have a favourite band, but I love listening to a variety of music, be it anything from Alfie Boe to Queen. When it comes to television I get hooked on crime dramas.
    I’m really looking forward to starting the course and meeting you all.

Jade
    Participant

Hello everyone πŸ™‚
    My name is Jade, this last year I have been an apprentice teaching assistant for a reception year group in an infant school. Before that I went to university to study therapeutic art but after placement in a primary school realised where I needed to be. I like listening to all sorts of music, I’m big fan of live comedy and my favourite kind of art is the messy kind! Looking forward to meeting and learning with you all πŸ™‚

Emily Sutton
    Participant

Hi everyone!
    My name is Emily and have recently finished studying A Levels in ICT & English Literature and BTEC Music. In my spare time I enjoy watching films and TV shows, Marvel films and Game Of Thrones being my favourites. I also love listening to music and my favourite artist is Olly Murs. Looking forward to starting the course and meeting everyone.

George Sanderson
    Participant

Hey everyone

I’m George, I just finished my A levels in European History, English Literature and Psychology. I enjoy watching films, playing video games and listening to music. My favorite bands being Radiohead, Queen and The Flight of the Choncords. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Sophie
    Participant

Hello everyone!
    My name is Sophie, I have recently finished studying A Levels in Maths, Geography and Religious Studies alongside a Sport Leaders course which was super fun! I enjoy watching films and TV shows, especially Game of Thrones and the Marvel films. I am easy going when it comes to music and enjoy anything…
    I am a little nervous about moving away from home but I am Looking forward to starting the course and meeting everyone. πŸ™‚

phoebe-jo henson
    Participant

Hi everyone!

I’m Phoebe, and I have also recently finished my A levels in English Language, Psychology and Health and Social Care. In my free time I love to exercise, particularly doing cross country and netball. I also love watching series, anything crime related is my thing, especially criminal minds- I would definitely recommend!

I’m super excited to move away from home but also nervous about the homesickness. However I can’t wait to start the Primary Education course at York St John’s and meet everyone!!

Leah Mortley
    Participant

Hi everyone!
    I’m Leah and I’ve just finished my alevels in Maths, Biology, and Physical Education. I am a keen dancer and am looking forward to joining YSJ’s cheerleading team! My favourite colour is purple, my favourite animals are dogs and my favourite band is coldplay.
    I am absolutely petrified to leave home but am definitely looking forward to meeting all of you!

Holly
    Participant

Hey everyone!

I’m Holly, and I’ve just finished my A Levels in Sociology, Media Studies, and Sport. I am a big lover of all things football and I hope to join YSJ’s Women’s Football team. Also, I am a girly girl at heart – with a love of shoes, clothes and anything pink! My favourite animals are butterflies, my favourite films are action or romcoms and I love most music – from One Direction to The Killers to the old school classics too.

I cannot wait to finally start the course and I’m looking forward to meeting you all!

Charlotte
    Participant

Hello!
    My name is Charlotte, I also have just finished my A-levels. My passion lies with competitive cheerleading which I have been doing for 7 years, and I hope to join the Uni cheer team. Im scared about leaving home and moving to uni as I don’t want to leave my mum, however I can’t wait to meet lots of new friends and enjoy learning new things on the course.
    See you all very soon!

Elizabeth Hill
    Participant

Hello Everyone!

My name is Elizabeth. I am just finishing off my gap year which consisted of teaching in various types of schools in South Africa, England, France, Spain and Germany. My A Levels were in Business Studies, Geography, Physical Education, Art and Maths.

My favourite colour is red and I have quite the range of favourite music from Disney, Classical Music to Meat Loaf and Musicals.

In my free time I like to work at the theatres in York as a sound technician, gain new qualifications (This year BSL, Lifeguarding and D of E) and sport.

I am looking forward to combining my interests with the teaching course, and meeting new people/friends.

See you all soon!

Ann Jones
    Participant

Hi Everyone.

My name is Ann and I am a senior lecturer who works on the Primary Education Degree. I teach on the first year professional module so I shall be working with you all at some point.

I’m feeling really old at the moment as I have just realised that it is exactly 30 years ago this September that I began my teaching career. It means I have a lot of experience and tales from the classroom to share with you.

I empathise with those of you who are feeling nervous or worried about being homesick. I was very homesick when I first went to university, but don’t worry, it soon passes and you will have the time of your life.

Ashlea
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    My names Ashlea and I have just finished my A-levels. I currently live in the Isle of Man and work in a local nursery over summer. My main passions is spending time with my family and boyfriend,especially my little brother. I’m nervous about moving to uni, but I can’t wait to try new things and meet some new people.
    See you all in a couple of weeks

Callum Johnson
    Participant

Hi everyone,

My name’s Callum and I’m from Lincolnshire. I’ve just finished my A-Levels in English Lit, German, Biology and General Studies.

I like all sorts of music and cinema and I have all sorts of hobbies. I’m really interested in languages and travelling in particular.

Looking forward to the course and meeting everyone!

Sarah Brown
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    I’m Sarah, I am transferring into the second year of the Primary Ed course from MMU.
    I took Maths, Further Maths and Art at A level and while it may seem like an odd combination, I really hope to promote my love of numbers and pictures to the future generation.
    I hope to be an SEN teacher when I am qualified.
    I’m excited to start at YSJ and to hopefully join the musical production society!

Katie Murray
    Participant

Hi all! My name is Katherine but I prefer to go by Katie, I’ve just finished my A-levels which were: Biology, Psychology, and Philosophy & Ethics.
    I spend a lot of my spare time listening to music, and doing crafty things like crochet. I’m very passionate about travelling and have been very fortunate to have visited 12 countries over the years!
    I’m very excited to finally come to YSJ as it’s been my dream to become a primary school teacher since I was 13. I can’t wait to move in and meet you all in a week!

Lizzie Nock
    Participant

Hi Everyone πŸ™‚

I’m Lizzie and I have recently finished my A-Levels in English Literature, Media and Psychology. I listen to all kinds of music, but some of my favourite artists have to be Miley Cyrus, Arctic Monkeys, Alessia Cara and Panic! At the Disco.
    I’m slightly nervous about leaving home but i’m looking forward to starting the course and meeting everyone. In my spare time I like to read and watch movies, especially Disney movies, but my all time favourite movie is Matilda.

Can’t wait to meet you all soon!

LucyKDenney
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I’m Lucy, I have just finished my A-Levels in English Language, Health and Social Care and Textiles. I love acting, sewing and reading.
    My favourite hobby is writing, adapting and directing plays for primary school children and my friends. I also love all things Disney, Little Mix and Cath Kidston.
    I am really worried about leaving my family, especially my beagle Mary, but I am very excited about starting to train to become a primary school teacher and meeting everyone!

Ella
    Participant

Hi everyone!

My name is Ella and I, like many of you, have just finished my A-Levels. I took English Language, Health & Social Care and Fashion & Textiles. As much as I loved studying for my A-Levels, I am very excited to begin the Primary Education 5-11 course and meet all of you!

In my spare time, I love to be doing anything sporty, making and creating things, cooking and baking, seeing friends and family – basically, I’m very enthusiastic and up for trying almost anything!

Really looking forward to meeting you all next week!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed